Tips for drinking less
If you do choose to drink, here are some ideas to try to help limit how much you drink:
- Be aware of how much you’re drinking and what constitutes a standard drink
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic ones like sparkling or plain water
- Choose low-alcohol beer and/or wine.
- Eat some food when you drink alcohol. Think of a glass of wine or beer as something to have with a meal rather than just a drink on its own.
- Dilute alcoholic drinks, for example, try a shandy (beer and lemonade) or white wine and mineral water.
- Use water to quench your thirst and sip alcoholic drinks slowly.
- Offer to be the designated driver when you go out so that you drink less, but make sure you stay under .05.
- When it comes to hitting the town, try sugar-free carbonated beverages – like soda or mineral water – with a twist of citrus for a more exciting option than plain water. You could even treat yourself to a mocktail!