Take action now
Sometimes people feel overwhelmed by cancer, but you don't have to feel powerless. You can make a difference by getting involved on a personal, local, national or global level. Find out more below or sign up to receive information on our latest activities you can support.
Take personal action
- Become a cancer prevention champion! Sign up to receive information and updates about events and activities that you can be part of to help reduce the risk of cancer in your community.
- Become a local hero by participating in a clinical trial. Clinical trials are the best way of testing a new cancer treatment, or of seeing whether one type of cancer prevention works better than another. A list of cancer prevention clinical trials is available at the Cancer Council Victoria cancer treatment trials webpage. Search for 'prevention' under keywords.
- Cut your own cancer risk by taking our cancer prevention quiz or visiting our how to cut your cancer risk page to learn about simple lifestyle changes you can make.
Take local action
- Be SunSmart. How smart is your child's school or early childhood service? Make sure they are SunSmart by promoting a healthy balance of UV exposure. This will help minimise skin and eye damage and the risk of skin cancer, and help with vitamin D levels. You can support your school or service through policy development, program membership or helping to create more shady areas, either by planting trees or building shade cover. Visit the SunSmart website to find out how.
- Fundraising. Find out more about fundraising activities in your area by clicking on the links below.
Take national action
- Parents' Voice. Parents' Voice is an online network of parents who are interested in improving the food and activity environments of Australian children. Formally known as The Parents' Jury, Parents' Voice was formed in 2004 and now represents thousands of Australian parents. Parents' Voice is supported by Diabetes Victoria, Cancer Council Australia, VicHealth, Bluearth and YMCA Australia.
Take global action
- World Cancer Declaration. In 2008, it is estimated that there were over 12.4 million new cases of cancer and about 7.6 million deaths from cancer. More than half of cancer cases and 60% of deaths occur in the less-developed countries. Want to change that? Sign up to the World Cancer Declaration. The World Cancer Declaration is a call to action to substantially reduce the global cancer burden by 2020. It was developed by international cancer control advocates to bring the cancer crisis to the attention of policy makers worldwide.
Sign up to become a prevention champion
Sign up here to receive information and updates about events and activities that you can be part of to help cut the cancer risk in your community.